5 Key Questions to Ask a Potential Home Inspector
Hiring a home inspector should be taken very seriously. This is your opportunity to learn as much as you can about your potential new home and it's overall condition. Therefore, we'd like to share 5 key questions to ask when interviewing your next home inspector.
The professionalism and range of services can vary in the home inspection industry. It's worth your time to ask the right questions before you make your choice.
Here are a few suggestions:
1. “What will your inspection cover?”
A home inspector should be able to present you with a detailed list of what is covered in the inspection. Don’t settle for a vague verbal promise like, "We check everything top to bottom." Get it in writing before you make your choice.
In addition, you should get an assurance that the inspection complies with all Local and State or Provincial regulations.
2. “What are your qualifications for inspecting a home like this one?”
As with most professions, experience counts. You want to check how long the inspector has been in the business, and how many homes like yours he has inspected.
Also ask about his credentials. What professional training programs has he completed? Does he belong to a recognized home inspection association?
3. “Do you do home repairs or renovations?”
If he does, this is a conflict of interest. You want an inspector to give you an unbiased report as to the condition of the house, without any expectation of getting some contracting work on the side.
4. “How long will the inspection take and may I be present?”
You'll want to find out if the inspector takes his time and does a thorough job, or rushes things so he can get as many homes done in a day as possible. On average, a typical single family home should take two to three hours to inspect properly.
5. “May I contact some of your references?”
Ask for references from people in the neighborhood you are considering moving to. Then, make sure you call them.
RE/MAX approved Inspectors to consider for an interview:
- Jed or Kari with Diversified Handyman, LLC at 218-851-8027
- Harmony Home Inspections at 763-442-0084 (Elk River, MN)
- Navigator Home Inspections at 218-820-2251 (Baxter, MN)
- Steve DeMars / Home Inspector at 218-426-4952 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Resource: IXACT Contact Solutions Inc.